sewing olympics 2012: start training now!

by Valerie on July 12, 2012

in sewing,sewingolympics

It’s that time again! During the Vancouver Olympics in 2010, I challenged myself with my own personal sewing olympics, and I want to do the same during the London games this year.

My goal: a trench coat. Specifically, McCall’s 5525. Check it out:

McCalls 5525, ladies' trench coat sewing pattern

The last few Burberry runway shows have made me obsessed with having a perfect trench coat, and a sewing challenge seems like the best way to make that happen (also, super-appropriate for London games, no?).

Not only have I been pining after a trench coat for a while, but I’ve never attempted outerwear before, and I think a trench coat is complicated enough to be a decent challenge for a sixteen day project.

linen trench coat, Burberry spring 2012 purple trench dress, Burberry spring 2012
Inspiration: linen trench and purple trench dress, Burberry, spring 2012.

I would love for you to join me in this sewing challenge! Just like the original knitting olympics, the rules are simple.

one: Start your project during opening ceremonies (July 27), and complete your project before closing ceremonies conclude (August 12).

two: Choose a sewing project to challenge yourself, but one that is attainable in sixteen days. Something just beyond your current skills perhaps. Don’t set yourself up for failure, but don’t pick anything too easy, either!

three: If you finish, you win! Imaginary gold medals for everyone! Really this is about challenging yourself, so the real prize is self satisfaction. :)

Sewing Olympics 2012!

Feel free to swipe the badge for your blog/Facebook/whatever to share with your friends that you are participating! I also created a Flickr group for the Vancouver games that we can still use. Post your patterns, your fabrics, and progress pictures! It’s all about accountability, after all.

You’ve got fourteen days to complete your training! For a sewing project, I think training includes choosing your pattern and fabric, researching on PatternReview.com, cutting out your pattern and prepping your fabric (washing, drying, and ironing).

So who’s with me? What are you going to make?

facebooktwitterpinterestlinkedinmail
so, what do you think? leave a comment & let me know.

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 TerritoryMom July 12, 2012 at 7:33 am

This is a great idea. I’ve got so many unfinished projects that I think I will just do one of them. I swore I would not buy anymore fabric or patterns until I use up or at least put a dent in my stash. Love your Pins.

2 Valerie July 12, 2012 at 11:33 am

I hear you on the stash-busting! I should have done that too, but I can’t resist the call of the perfect trench coat. Welcome to the sewing olympics and good luck!

3 Kim Fremberg July 12, 2012 at 5:16 pm

The trench coat is to easy for me. I’m going to find something more challenging to make. Any ideas?? Thanx, Kim

4 Maria Chisnall, Nassau, Bahamas July 12, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I will make a quilt for my daughter’s wedding. The guests will sign the quilt in permanent markers instead of the ususal guest book….

5 Valerie July 13, 2012 at 8:31 am

Kim – Maybe some type of evening wear? Something with very challenging fabric to work with?

Maria – That sounds wonderful! What a great and unique gift for your daughter!

6 Katrina July 14, 2012 at 10:29 am

I’m in… and I already know I’m gonna struggle! We have been in our house 2 years now and I haven’t done a thing with it (except paint the awful burnt orange color a beautiful melted chocolate – that had to go!!)

I have finally chosen to commit to a color scheme for my bedroom and also a plan for a quilt for my bed. Each large embroidery takes over an hour on my machine and I need 81. But my goal is to complete those and while those are stitching, finish up some other ufp’s and get as close to having my room as complete as possible (painting it may just be too much for this challenge).

Oh… The pattern i’ve chosen is on point and Im totally afraid of it too! And its a 118×118 quilt and I dont have a long arm… Researching how to do a partial QAYG… (but I dont want seams and I suck at hand sewing).

7 Ursula July 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I accept the challenge to join the sewing olympics. I will start looking for a project to do doing the olympics.

8 Christine July 26, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Hmmm, I like the sound of this! Wondering if I could tackle this: http://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/46295#.UBHFokTlPVQ

9 Katrina July 27, 2012 at 9:34 am

We start today :) are ya’ll ready? I took my machine in for an overhaul and I’ve modified my pattern some so I am capable of getting the quilt top done (but its still on point – and I’m totally afraid of it!!!)

I’m ready – are you… Go Sewing Team USA!!